"Equity" means fairness.
What are "equity" issues?
Within a university setting, an equity issue can be the impermissible harassment or discrimination of a student, faculty or staff member. State and/or federal laws protect all citizens from discrimination based on religion, creed, race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, political affiliation, veteran status, or genetic information. Appalachian State University policy extends protection to include sexual orientation and gender identity and expression. Salary inequities may also involve discrimination.
Types of harassment and discrimination include:
- Sexual harassment
- Racial discrimination
- Age discrimination
- Harassment based on sexual orientation
- Harassment based on gender identity and expression
- Religious discrimination
- National origin discrimination
- Political affiliation discrimination
- Veteran status discrimination
- Genetic Information discrimination
Other equity issues:
- Equal opportunity concerns
- Hiring or promotion concerns
- Pay inequities
Please check back for events.
Office of Equity, Diversity and Compliance
123 I.G. Greer Hall
Boone, NC, 28608 USA
828-262-2144 fax 828-262-6646